Do you need a plumber or heating engineer

Plumbers and Heating Engineers carry out very similar jobs, so it’s natural to be unsure of which specialist to choose when you need some help.

Whether you are looking for servicing, repairs or replacement parts, it’s important you choose the right person to carry out the job.

If this work is related to your home heating system, you should always go for a Gas Safe Registered Heating Engineer. Ensuring you understand the difference is important, not only for the quality of the work carried out, but for the safety of your home.

Plumbers and heating engineers – what’s the difference?

A Heating Engineer deals with anything related to your home’s heating system (boiler, water cylinder, thermostat), whereas a Plumber specialises in water appliances (toilets, taps). It’s important that if you are looking for someone to help you with your boiler and heating system, they should be Gas Safe Registered. Often many Plumbers are also Gas Safe Registered, but make sure they are also ok to work on Gas Boilers too – this is where the confusion between plumbing and heating often lies.

Contacting a Gas Safe Registered Engineer

It’s so important to ensure that any work undertaken on your home’s Heating System is done by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer. Installing or repairing a boiler is not an easy task, and needs to be done properly by experienced and qualified engineers. Please do not take any shortcuts here, it will only cause problems further down the line!

You can check they are properly registered on the official website. You should contact them for support with any of the following parts of your home:

  • Radiators
  • Boiler
  • Thermostats
  • Hot Water Cylinders
  • Pipework

Contacting a Plumber

Plumbers specialise in any appliances that involve water (apart from when related to your boiler). Here are a few examples:

  • Blockages (toilet, sink)
  • Dishwasher
  • Sewage Systems
  • Toilet Problems
  • Dripping Taps
  • Bathrooms (e.g. installing a toilet and shower)

All in all, it is easy to remember that when you are concerned about anything related to your home’s heating, choose a Gas Safe Registered Heating Engineer. For water or pipes, it’s a plumber you need!

If you are looking for any support with your boiler, whether a new boiler installation, repair or boiler replacement, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at LS1 or get a free quote now. We are a team of leading Gas Safe Registered Engineers in London, where quality and customer service is always at the forefront of what we do.

Click to read all the reviews from our valued customers.